Airlines, tour operators, entrepreneurs and even old-fashioned travel book publishers have been unleashing a wave of information accessible with MP3 players and mobile phones that is easier to tote while on vacation and is delivering increasingly personal recommendations.
- History Unwired, a walking tour in Venice, Italy, over location-aware multimedia phones and PDAs
- Soundwalk, New York City neighborhood tours blended with music, sound effects and interviews
- Talkingstreet, celebrities lend their voices to their hometown tours
- Thomson podcasts, a British tour operator’s podcasts to accompany travelers to Corsica, Cuba or the Cote D’Azur
- Virgin podcasts, for destinations ranging from Shanghai to Las Vegas
- Lonely Planet podcasts, free podcast downloads to supplement the printed materials