Jan-Christoph Zoels, an Experientia founding partner, was one of the panelists at the UNStudio Platform Dialogues during the Milan Design Week and a video of his discussion with Markus Benz (CEO Walter Knoll) and Birgit Lohmann (Associate Editor-in-chief Designboom), is now online.
Experientia and UNStudio, the famous Dutch architectural design studio led by Ben van Berkel and Caroline Bos, have previously collaborated on the design of sustainable buildings, environments and behavioral change.
The dialogue explored explored the current and future possibilities of Interfaces with each other and through materiality Whether it is as a portal to the World Wide Web or active nano-technologies, the communication between users and materials is no longer only one-way. The surfaces and objects through which we communicate and design provide new tactile and virtual feedbacks.
The UNStudio Platform Dialogues webpage also features the videos of the two other talks:
DESIGNING (FOR) CO-CREATING
How can architecture and product design contribute to co-creation? Is co-creation a romantic idea driven by the democratisation and customisation of the consumer industry, or a true reflection of contemporary working practices? What are the potential benefits of co-creating within architecture and product design? This session investigates the importance of materiality at the human scale of design. Jurgen Bey, Ben van Berkel and Leo Schouten invite design critics and writers to actively share their opinions concerning the future of co-creation. Sharing an interest in encouraging dialogue, innovation and creative exchange through design, they will discuss the process of co-creating within their own practices, as well as the designing of spaces for the accommodation of co-creation.
– Ben van Berkel, Co-Founder/ Principal Architect, UNStudio
– Jurgen Bey, Director/ designer Studio Makkink & Bey and director, PROOFFLab
– Leo Schouten, Founder / director, PROOFF
– Moderator: Christine de Baan
Every day we strive to find new materials and novel uses for old ones to discover inventive, effective and sustainable solutions. In the context of this Dialogue, ‘attainability’ is the combination of research and sustainability in the pursuit of advanced materials. For this dialogue we will explore what materials can do now, and what we want them to do tomorrow.
– Gabi Böhm, Senior Architect/Project Manager, Premier Composite Technologies
– Micol Costi, Director of Materials Research, Material Connexion Italia
– Giammichele Melisz, Associate Director, Buro Happold
– James O’Callaghan, Director, Eckersley O’Callaghan Structural + Facade Engineers
– Federica Sem, Managing Director, Permasteelisa Interiors