Now Jakob Nielsen is looking at this phenomenon which he calls the “90-9-1 rule” and adds some interesting data (from Technorati, Wikipedia and Amazon). Reflecting on how the unrepresentativeness of contributions can cause problems, he suggests five ways to make participation a little less unequal:
- Make it easier to contribute;
- Make participation a side effect of something else they’re doing (e.g. buying);
- Have users modify something, rather than create it from scratch;
- Reward — but don’t over-reward — participants;
- Promote quality contributors and contributions.