After from having become a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the former mining grounds of Zollverein are now making their mark as a leading international location for design. Current and future activities and projects include:
- the new Zollverein School of Management and Design
- the renowned Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen and its red dot design museum (designed by Sir Norman Foster)
- ENTRY2006, the first international forum for design and architecture which features a three-month exhibition, conferences and events (26 August – 3 December 2006) – (download brochure, 2.1 mb, 40 pages)
- the RuhrMuseum, a spectacular museum on the history of the region
- DesignStadt, a design city for creative businesses
Zollverein currently attracts around 500,000 visitors each year within its numerous buildings, through an impressive programme of cultural events and projects.